Let the Adventure Begin.
Outdoorsy, adventurous types need to look no further for a camera that can handle it all. The PowerShot D20 digital camera is waterproof to 33 feet, temperature-resistant from 14°F to 104°F, shockproof up to 5.0 feet, and equipped with a GPS tracker. Slim and sturdy with a highly visible color layout, its buttons are operable even with gloved hands. Spectacular image quality is ensured with the 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor for excellent low-light performance, and a 5x Optical Zoom with 28mm Wide-Angle Lens that brings excitement to your imaging. A single touch and you'll be shooting incredibly vivid 1080p Full HD Video with full zooming capability. Lots of optional accessories take you deeper underwater and more.
Canon created the PowerShot D20 to be the tough, practical companion you'll want to bring on all your outdoor adventures, making it possible to capture truly impressive stills and video while doing what you love. Scuba dive, snorkel, paddle surf and more: the camera is waterproof all the way to 33 feet. Performance is fast and reliable in temperatures from 14° to 104°F, so it's safe for everything from winter sports to summer hiking. Shockproof up to 5.0 feet, the PowerShot D20 is also able to survive the accidental falls and bumps inherent to mountaineering, biking, and other outdoor activities.
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor in the PowerShot D20 incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range to an amazing high of 3200. The Canon HS SYSTEM takes the frustration out of low-light shooting, delivering clear, blur-free images.
In addition to the Canon HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor in the PowerShot D20 makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24* frames per second, the PowerShot D20 can also shoot 720p HD video at 30** frames per second.
*Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
**Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
The PowerShot D20's optical brilliance is a perfect match for the outdoor adventures the camera's tough design supports. The 5x Optical Zoom (35mm equivalent: 28-140mm) (operable during video recording, too) brings wildlife and other difficult-to-approach subjects close. The 28mm Wide-Angle Lens makes all your shots more dynamic, and allows you to capture landscapes with their magisterial breadth intact.
The PowerShot D20 digital camera is equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS)* technology. Now you can travel the world and let the camera automatically record the locations** and local times of your stills and videos. The camera can also use the GPS unit to automatically set the exact time. You can maximize the usefulness of the GPS feature by using the special bundled Map Utility software that makes it fun to share the memories of your world adventures. In addition to displaying all your photos' locations on a world map, the camera's GPS system can also track your route from photo to photo a great way to visualize each trip! You can also create and share custom maps and personal mini-travel guides with friends and family members.
*In certain countries and regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore, be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations of your country or region. Be particularly careful when traveling outside your home country.As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated.
This software uses Google Maps for displaying maps.
** GPS tracking does not work underwater.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
A full range of optional accessories designed specifically for the PowerShot D20 take its fun and functionality to new heights. A Waterproof Case and Float are perfect for shooting in deeper waters down to 131 feet. A Carabiner Strap and Shoulder Strap keep the camera at hand during biking, climbing, hiking or any physical activity. A Silicone Jacket and Soft Case provide protection from the elements without adding extra weight.
Canon PowerShot D20 Compact Digital Camera Specifications
- Type: Compact digital camera with built-in flash, 5x Optical Zoom, 4x Digital, and 20x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
- Type: 12.1 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 12.8 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 12.1 Megapixels
- Focal Length:
5.0 (W) - 25.0mm (T)
(35mm film equivalent: 28 (W) - 140mm (T))
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 3.3 ft. (1m) - infinity (T)
Auto: 0.4 in. (1cm) - infinity (W), 3.3 ft. (1m) - infinity (T)
Macro: 0.4 in. - 1.6 ft. (1-50cm) (W)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
- Optical Viewfinder: N/A
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT Color with wide-viewing angle
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 461,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.9-f/4.8
- Shutter Speed:
15-1/1600 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
Auto*, ISO 100/200/400/800/1600/3200 (When in P mode)
* Optimal ISO speed is automatically set depending on the shooting mode.
- Light Metering Method:Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
* Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AF
** Metering frame is fixed to the center
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE, i-Contrast, AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments (not available when shooting movies)
- White Balance Control:
Auto*, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater, Custom
*Facial color is evaluated in Face Detect (Face Detect WB).
- Adjusts the white balance separately for the main subject and the back ground when the flash fires.
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Auto Red-eye Correction, Flash On, Flash Off; FE lock, Slow Synchro
- Flash Range:
12 in. - 11 ft. (W), 3.3 in. - 9.8 ft.(T)
(30cm - 3.4m (W), 1.0 - 3.0m (T))
- Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: N/A
- Shooting Modes:
P, Auto*1, Movie Digest, Portrait, Smart Shutter*2, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Underwater, Underwater Macro, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Stitch Assist, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
- Shooting movies is possible with the movie button
*1 Smart Auto also available for movies
*2 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
- Photo Effects:
My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin, Darker Skin, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color*
* Adjustment of contrast, sharpness, saturation, red, green, blue and skin tone are available.
- Self Timer:
Approx. 10-sec. delay, approx. 2-sec. delay, custom*
* Delay time (0 - 15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1 - 10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.
- Wireless Control: N/A
- Continuous Shooting:
Approx. 1.9 shots/sec. (in P Mode)
Approx. 1.9 shots/sec. (in Low Light Mode)
- Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically
- Differs according to zoom position
- Storage Media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
- JPEG Compression Mode:
Still Image: Exif 2.3 JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels:
Large: 4000 x 2248, Medium 1: 2816 x 1584
Medium 2: 1920 x 1080, Small: 640 x 360
Large: 4000 x 2664, Medium 1: 2816 x 1880
Medium 2: 1600 x 1064, Small: 640 x 424
Large: 4000 x 3000, Medium 1: 2816 x 2112
Medium 2: 1600 x 1200, Small: 640 x 480
Large: 2992 x 2992, Medium 1: 2112 x 2112
Medium 2: 1220 x 1200, Small: 480 x 480
1280 x 720 (30 fps*1)
[Super Slow Motion Movie]
640 x 480*2, 320 x 240*3
1280 x 720*4, 640 x 480*4
[Other than the above]
1920 x 1080 (24 fps*5), 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1), 640 x 480 (30 fps*1)
*1 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
*2 Shooting: 120 fps, Playback: 30 fps*1.
*3 Shooting: 240 fps, Playback: 30 fps*1.
*4 Shooting: 6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps Playback: 30 fps*1
*5 Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
- Playback Modes File:
- Stills & Videos:
Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Image Advance (Operation Tools, Transition effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, My Category, Smart Shuffle, Filtered Playback, Slide Show (Playback Interval, Repeat, Effect, Playlist)
- Still Images:
Single, Index (4-100 thumbnails), Magnification (2x-10x), Information Display, Red-eye Correction, i-Contrast, Trimming, Resize, My Colors, Focus Check, Histogram, Overexposure Warning
Normal Playback*, Slow Motion**, Special Playback, Editing, Resume
*Auto settings available in 5 levels
** 5 levels (including normal playback), sound not available.
- Erase Modes:
Select image, select range, all images (all filtered images)
- The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
- Using the Movie editing function, sections of the movie (1 sec. increments) can be deleted.
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL (Dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video), Mini-HDMI connector
- Audio Out: Monaural (Dedicated connector (female) unified type of digital, audio, and video)
Mini-HDMI cable: connection to high definition monitor; SD Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Inkjet Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-speed cable
- Power Source:
1) Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery NB-6L
2) Compact Power Adapter CA-DC10 (included with AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC40)
- Shooting Capacity: Approx. 280 shots
- Playback Time: Approx. 5 hours
- Operating Temperature: 14-104°F/10-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.42 x 2.79 x 1.10 in. / 112.3 x 70.8 x 28.0 mm
Approx. 7.23 oz. (205g) (camera only)
Approx. 8.04 oz. (228g) (including the battery and memory card)
Note: 30 display languages provided
(English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malaysian, Indonesian, and Vietnamese).
All data are based on Canon's Standard Test Method. Subject to change without notice.
- Canon PowerShot D20
- Battery Pack NB-6L
- Battery Charger CB-2LY
- Wrist Strap WS-DC8
- Strap Mount
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM