The Nikon D70s digital camera builds on the success of its popular predecessor, the D70, with multiple internal and external refinements, including an improved autofocus system, larger LCD monitor, the addition of a remote cord port, graphic user interface, and others. Designed for a broad range of consumers from experienced, amateur photographers to beginning photo enthusiasts and hobbyists, the Nikon D70s offers a proven track record of superior image quality, robust performance, and advanced features. Its DX format, 6.1-effective megapixel CCD sensor is optimized to deliver images with superb sharpness and excellent clarity. An improved autofocus system delivers enhanced performance, especially in Dynamic area AF and Dynamic area AF with closest subject priority modes. This, combined with Nikon's unique Dynamic Buffer technology (that allows the digital SLR to continuously take up to 144 pictures at a speed of three pictures per second*), makes the D70s Nikon even more responsive when photographing fast moving subjects.
Nikon has taken the internationally best-selling D70 digital SLR camera and made it even more appealing to hobbyists and photo enthusiasts by incorporating a range of enhancements and features that were based largely on the feedback they received from their customers and research findings. The Nikon D70s SLR digital camera represents a combination of performance and value for photo enthusiasts, and offers superb image quality, advanced speed and simple, intuitive usability.
Smart Enhancements - The Nikon D70s body incorporates a host of enhancements and refinements internally and externally, in addition to all of the advanced features and innovations found in the D70
System Versatility: DX Nikkor Lenses
- A refined 5-area autofocus system now has an all-area search priority to go along with the camera's single area, dynamic area, and close subject priorities, improving the SLR's ability to acquire focus on fast moving subjects within the frame.
- The camera now boasts a larger 2.0-inch LCD monitor, making it easier for users to review images and access menus.
- A remote port for the MC-DC1 electronic cable release (optional) allows users to trigger the camera and hold the shutter open via an electronic cable release
- A built-in Speedlight with a wider angle of coverage, supports 18mm lenses.
- A new, easier-to-read menu design in the Nikon D70s uses color-coded menus, and a larger type-face.
- A higher capacity EN-EL3a battery offers users more pictures per charge. The EN-EL3a battery comes with a new, smaller MH-18a battery charger. Both the battery and charger are included with the Nikon D70s digital camera.
The Nikon D70s body joins Nikon's current selection of digital SLR models and inherits the popular DX format sensor and Nikon F-Mount, making it seamlessly compatible with all AF Nikkor lenses and Nikon's exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. Designed exclusively for use with DX Format digital SLR cameras, DX Nikkor lenses deliver a wider picture angle, higher performance, and outstanding center-to-edge-to-corner image quality, while realizing smaller and lighter designs. All DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle comparable to that of 35mm format lenses with a 1.5x factor. Since the introduction of the DX Nikkor lenses, the series has grown to include six lenses. These include: AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED - AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED - AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED - AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED - AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED - AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED.
Simplified Creativity: Revolutionary Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL Taking its cue from the D70, the Nikon D70s' built-in Speedlight offers a level of performance that is unrivalled in any other digital SLR camera in its class. Designed to be a part of Nikon's growing Creative Lighting System, the D70s' built-in Speedlight adopts Nikon's exclusive i-TTL flash control technology. In addition to normal on-camera use, the D70s' built-in Speedlight can also be used in Commander Mode to remotely control one group of multiple SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlights wirelessly, offering users remarkable creative lighting control while still maintaining point-and-shoot simplicity. Alternately, an SB-800 can be mounted on the D70s Nikon and used as the Master Speedlight for even more control of up to three remote groups of wireless Speedlights, with each group consisting of any number of Nikon SB-800 or SB- 600 Speedlight units. The Nikon D70s lets you shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 second for great fill effects under brighter light conditions, while FV Lock maintains the measured flash value while recomposing the shot so you still achieve the appropriate flash output for the subject.
Powerful Software: Nikon PictureProject(TM) and PictureProject In Touch Software is a key component of the digital photography experience, and a key component of Nikon's Total Imaging System. After conducting exhaustive worldwide research into customer expectations, requirements and work habits, Nikon has developed the PictureProject 1.5 image management and editing software. Based entirely on a software architecture that empowers customers of varying skill levels to maximize their digital photography experience, Nikon PictureProject 1.5 boasts powerful features wrapped into a brand interface that navigates quickly and is easy to master. While PictureProject 1.5 is already a dynamic addition to Nikon photography, the software also supports plug-ins, allowing users to add features, as technology and the digital camera market evolve. The software allows users to easily transfer images to PC's or MAC's and browse, organize, and share them. With support for JPEG, TIFF and NEF and compressed NEF (RAW) files, PictureProject 1.5 works in close unison with Nikon Capture 4.2 as the ideal companion to its powerful feature set.
With Nikon's PictureProject In Touch(TM), users can share photos without attaching them in an email or uploading them to a website. PictureProject In Touch is a free desktop software application, available via download on www.nikonnet.com and included with the newest version 1.5 of PictureProject(TM) software. It enables the fast, seamless and easy transfer of pictures between a sender and one or more recipients and can be viewed as full-screen slide shows with the click of a button. With this powerful software, Nikon can ensure that its customers will always keep ahead of the technology curve.
Major Features of the Nikon D70s Digital SLR
Quantaray 28-80mm F/3.3-5.6 G Auto Focus Zoom Lens
- 6.1 Effective Megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD: Optimized to deliver a wide dynamic range that produces great pictures with high resolution and sharp details, the DX Format CCD sensor's 6.1 effective megapixels yield 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images that are suitable for making large prints, or for creative cropping to bring out detail.
- Near-Instant Power-Up in 0.2 Seconds: Turn the Nikon D70s on, and with a power-up time of a mere 0.2 seconds, it's ready to shoot. Pictures are processed and recorded extremely quickly; preview images appear on the LCD monitor almost instantly.
- 7 Digital Vari-Programs: Digital Vari-Program selections automatically optimizes white balance, sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue settings to best match the selected scene, making creative photography as simple as rotating the mode dial. Choose from Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape, or Night Portrait for automated performance that makes the Nikon D70s the right choice, whether you are still learning how to make great pictures or an experienced photographer simply in a hurry to capture precious moments.
- Increased Battery Performance - with EN-EL3a rechargeable battery: The EN-EL3a rechargeable lithium-ion battery increases energy capacity to shoot more images while maintaining the same form factor as the EN-EL3 battery. The Quick Charger MH-18a is smaller than the charger it replaces, and is capable of charging both the EN-EL3a and EN-EL3 batteries. When the need arises, the Nikon D70s can also be powered using CR2 batteries. (Requires the optional CR2 battery holder, MS-D70)
- Large 2.0 inch TFT LCD Monitor: Playback options on the 2.0-inch LCD monitor include single frame, 4 or 9-image thumbnail display, zoom with scroll (up to 4.7x), automatic slide show, histogram indication and highlight point display.
- 3 fps Continuous Shooting - for up to 144 consecutive shots*: High-speed continuous shooting means never falling behind the pace of the action or missing the moment. The Nikon D70s can shoot a rapid 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of 144 pictures* thanks to optimized systems throughout the camera.*When using JPEG - Normal - Large setting, and a SanDisk SDCFH (Ultra II), SDCFX (Extreme/Extreme III) or Lexar Media 80X WA CompactFlash card
- 3D Color Matrix Metering: The 1,005-pixel RGB Exposure/Color Matrix Metering Sensor evaluates brightness, color, contrast, selected focus area, and subject-to-camera distance information, references the results against an onboard database of 30,000 scenes from actual photography, then uses high-speed processing to deliver consistently dependable automatic exposures.
- Refined 5-Area AF System - with All-Area Search: Nikons advanced 5-area Multi-CAM900 autofocus system continues to feature a cross-type sensor in the center, broad frame coverage, as well as the same class-leading low light detection and convenient AF-assist illuminator that aid shooting in dark situations. for the Nikon D70s digital SLR are refinements to deliver greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking when using Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF or Dynamic AF mode with predictive focus tracking and Lock-on (TM).
- iTTL and Nikon's Creative Lighting System : Makes taking pictures with flash as easy as turning the flash on! Easy multiple flash lighting is possible using the Nikon Creative Lighting System including the SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights.
- Wider Coverage from Built-In Speedlight to 18mm: The built-in Speedlight automatically pops up and fires when natural lighting is inadequate, or to add Balanced Fill-Flash when there is strong backlighting. A new, optimized design for the Nikon D70s increases flash coverage to support lenses as wide as 18mm.
- Fast - 1/8000 sec. Maximum Shutter Speed & 1/500 Sec. Flash Sync: Shutter speeds from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. and flash-synchronized shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec. provide a photo experience with greater breadth and creative flexibility to catch more of those important picture moments.
- Enhanced Menu Display, Now Easier to Read: A menu design combining a carefully selected color scheme, the right amount of contrast, and larger fonts makes the user-friendly keywords of the menu displays easier to view and quicker to recognize
- Nikkor lenses: The Nikon D70s body employs the Nikon F lensmount for seamless compatibility with the comprehensive lineup of high - quality AF and AF- S Nikkor lenses long favored by professionalsaround the world for their superb color, high contrast and razor-sharp images, as well as for outstanding autofocus. The increasing family of DX Nikkor lenses designed for use with Nikon digital SLR cameras make the options even richer, delivering a wider variety of picture angles, higher performance, and outstanding center-to-edge -to-corner image quality.
- PictureProject Software INCLUDED: PictureProject is refined with an intuitive user interface that makes image management, editing and sharing easier and more fun. Simply connect the camera to a computer to automatically import pictures. Quickly e-mail or Auto Enhance images, run slideshows, burn CD/DVDs*, and access other commonly used functions via practical buttons. Use drag-and-drop to organize pictures into separate collections, and quickly locate any file by name, keyword, or date.
- Exclusively designed for use with digital SLR cameras featuring APS-C size image sensor.
- High zoom ratio 11:1.
- Compact, Lightweight and Durable construction with diameter of 70mm (2.8 in.), length of 78.1mm (3.1 in.) and weight of 405g./14.3oz. Lens has Metal Mount.
- Minimum focusing distance of 45cm (17.7 in.) at all focal lengths.
Compact, Lightweight Superzoom lens, with high zoom ratio 11:1
This high zoom ratio lens is exclusively designed for digital SLR cameras and capable of covering a wide range of focal lengths from wide-angle to telephoto. Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements and two hybrid aspherical lenses offer the utmost correction for all types of aberrations, and enables this extended range super zoom lens to be housed in a compact and lightweight construction of 70mm (2.8 in.) diameter, and 78.1mm (3.1 in.) in length, and weighing just 405g/14.3oz. The new lens coating reduces flare and ghost, which is a common problem of digital cameras and also creates an optimum color balance. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 45cm (17.7 in.) at all focal lengths and has maximum magnification of 1:4.4.
The lens design incorporates an inner focusing system, which prevents the front of the lens from rotating, making it particularly suitable for using circular polarizing filters and petal shaped lens hoods. The overall length of the lens does not change during focusing, ensuring convenient handling and ease of use. A zoom lock switch eliminates zoom creep during transportation, a convenient addition when traveling.